I discovered in the 3rd grade that there was a connection between achieving my goals and “being my best.” You see I really disliked math! Even at the mention of the word, it brought tears. Can you believe that happy girl could become a major disruption in the classroom? Well, that’s what happened. My teacher tried every strategy that she could think of to no avail. Then she met with my mother, Herlean. And that’s when things changed. When I got home from school the day of her meeting, here’s the conversation my mother and I had.
- Mother: Patricia, were you disruptive in school today?
- Me: Well, yes
- Mother: So why?
- Me: I just don’t like that subject-math
- Mother: What don’t you like about it?
- Me: I can’t make my usual “A”
- Mother: Well, you have the wrong goal. It shouldn’t be about getting an “A” grade. Rather, it should be about “being your best.”
- Me: But if I get an “A”, I am being my best.
- Mother: When you are your best, you may not always get an “A” grade. Let’s see if you are being your best. When the teacher says something you don’t understand do you raise your hand and ask her to explain? Have you completed all of your homework and checked to make sure it was correct before you turned it in to your teacher? Have you done extra homework when you haven’t understood something? Have you reached out for help?
- Me: My answer was “no” to everything. Clearly, I wasn’t being my best.
- Mother: Will you commit to being you best?
- Me: Yes, I can do that
Once committed and ALL IN, I got focused, stopped crying, math became my favorite subject, I made an “A” grade and achieved my goal. This B.E.S.T. Movement is about YOU. Empowering you to discover your B.E.S.T., use tools that will facilitate your B.E.S.T, connect with B.E.S.T. experts, and experience B.E.S.T. opportunities. Each week I will share a story that will provide you with insight into what it takes to be your B.E.S.T. I hope these stories will stimulate “B.E.S.T. thoughts” and discoveries that will propel you to your b.e.s.t. – achieving your goals, living your dreams, and you making an impact on others. ENJOY reading!